Another way to use up a purple sweet potato, bake a bread. The taste is depending on personal preference, if you want more like sweet bread then add more sugar or your choice of sweetener. You can add spice too if you like such as nutmeg or cinnamon. The bread is so soft and fluffy. Eat it with chocolate spread or jam, yummmm.
Purple Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup purple sweet potato puree
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a glass bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and 1 tbsp sugar. Keep the bowl in warm place and wait about 10 minutes until it foamy to proof the yeast is good.
- Put the yeast mixture in your favorite mixer bowl, here I use kitchen aid mixer with dough hook attached, you can knead it by hand too.
- Add the rest of sugar, oil, salt, purple sweet potato purée and flour into the mixing bowl.
- Knead it as per mixer manual instruction for making bread dough until all combined and dough clean the bowl. If it still sticky add 1 tbsp flour at a time.
- Put the dough in the lightly greased bowl, keep it in a warm place (in the oven with the light on or countertop covered with a kitchen towel) for 40 minutes until rise double the size.
- Put the dough on the working place countertop, dust your fingers with flour, knead the dough and shape it like bun or loaf.
- I make some buns here. Put the buns on the pan lined parchment paper. Let it rise double the size again in the warm place for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °, bake the buns in the middle rack for 15 minutes until lightly brown on the top. If you make a loaf then bake it for 35 – 40 minutes until lightly brown on the top.
- Cool the bread on a baking rack, enjoy it on its own or with jam, chocolate spread, nut butter.
- Perfect for breakfast or fall season dinner roll.
Do you like a sweet potato for bread or just wheat bread?