This easy and delicious dairy-free potato cake is made with simple ingredients for an appetizer, meal prep, lunch box meal, or light meal ideas for a busy weekday supper.
Dairy-free Potato Cakes
I grew up eating this potato cake. My mom always made this, and I often sneaked to the dining table to grab one or two of these potato cakes before dinner.
Now I live in a different country with my little family, I saw a variety of potato cakes here, and they all taste good.
Tips For Making Potato Cakes
- Use yellow potato or Yukon gold potato. Avoid using russet potatoes as it is too crumbly for this recipe.
- Fry the potatoes first before mashing them to reduce the water content.
- If you use boiled, mashed potato, let it cool down first, uncovered before mixing it with other ingredients.
- The whisked egg white is for coating the potato cake before frying it, as it will make the potato cake crispy on the outside.
You can serve this potato cake on its own for a quick breakfast using leftover mashed potato from the day before, for lunch box prep, or dinner served with beef stew.
For more easy appetizer ideas
- 3 medium-sized yellow potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- half tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 and a half tsp salt
- 3 egg white
- oil for frying
- Peel the potatoes cut into one-inch cubes.
- Put enough oil in a medium-sized wok or frying pan to fry the potatoes over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes, fry them until soft, turn the heat off, mash the potato and set aside, and let it cool down.
- In a mixing bowl, put the mashed potato, add the minced shallot, parsley, green onion, nutmeg, salt, white pepper, whole egg and egg yolk. Mix it until well blended.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg white until foamy.
- Shape the potato cake into a round shape. Set aside.
- You can use the same frying pan with the same oil and add more oil if needed to fry the potato cake. I did shallow fry for this, not deep fry. Turn the stove to medium heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, dip the potato cake into whisked egg white, fry it for 2 minutes, flip it, then fry it again for another 2 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Put the cooked potato cake on the paper towel to drain the excess oil, and turn the heat off.