We cook duck often, we don’t serve duck only on special occasion. We have duck for Sunday night supper or weekday supper. The only problem is I only find frozen duck in the grocery store around here. So, in order to cook it, I need a plan for it, at least one day before to thaw it first.
Cooking duck is not that hard, just like making any roasted chicken. Pop it in the oven then leave it until it cooks. On the side note, the duck has a lot of fat, as far as I know, lots of people use the duck fat for cooking too, like making roasted potato or veggies. If you would like to preserve the duck fat, you can collect it after the duck finish roasting and before you glaze the duck. Here I just roast the duck and no glaze on it. But I don’t preserve the duck fat, I just drain it and put it aside then roast the duck for more few minutes until the skin a little bit crispier.
Roasted Duck With Herb
- 1 whole duck
- 1 medium onion, white or yellow, cut in 4 quarters
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried marjoram
- 2 tbsp salt, I use pink Himalayan salt
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Make the spice rub by mix together onion powder, garlic powder, dried marjoram, salt.
- Put the duck on the roasting pan without the rack.
- Stuff the duck cavity with onion, garlic, and rosemary, sprinkle a tsp spice rub.
- Rub whole duck with the spice rub generously.
- Put the other half of onion and 3 cloves of garlic clove around the duck.
- Let it sit for few hour to marinate the duck.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put the roasting pan lid on, roast the duck covered for 3 hours.
- Check every hour, and basting the duck with its liquid.
- After 3 hours, drain the liquid and the duck fat into heatproof bowl.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400°F, roast the duck uncovered for 10 minutes or until the skin looks crispier.
- Take out the duck from the oven, let it sit for few minutes.
- Use the poultry shears to cut up the duck, as it is easier than using a knife to carve it.
- Serve it over rice or crispy potato wedge with a salad of your choice.
Here is after three-hour roasting there is lots of liquid accumulated on the pan, I just drain it to the bowl, before put the duck back to the oven to make the skin crispier. From one whole roasted duck, here I get 3/4 cup of duck fat.
The choice to serve it in our family varies, I personally like to serve duck with fluffy cooked rice then serve it with Spicy Chili Sambal complete with the raw veggies.
But also in our family, mostly serve the roasted duck with fluffy mashed potato or roasted potato complete with salad. If there is any left over, I usually toss the duck meat on a salad for lunch in the next day.